She received in 2005 the Ph.D. in Bioengineering at the University of Genoa. In 2004 she was Visiting Scientist at the Univ. Hospital of Basel. Member of PhD course of Bioengineering at the University of Genoa, head of the Laboratory of Tissue Engineering. She is also principal investigator of the FET-OPEN H2020 project “B2B”. She is author of more than 60 int. peer-reviewed papers, book chapters, inventor of 7 patents and scientific reviewer for EU (NMBP, ERC grants).
2010-present Professor Member at the PhD course in Bioengineering, University of Genoa.
2005- present: Graduate Student Advisor, University of Genoa, Italy (Supervisor of more than 30 graduate students of the Bioengineering faculty)
20010- present: PhD Student Advisor, University of Genoa, I (4 PhD students of Biotechnology Course, Bioengineering Course, Regenerative Medicine Course)
2010-2016 Appointed Professor of Biomechanics, Medicine Faculty, University of Genoa.
2010-present Member of the PhD Course of Bioengineering at the University of Genoa
2012-present Head of the Laboratory of Tissue Engineering CNR-IEIIT Genoa, currently consisting of: 2 post DOC, 3 fellows, 1 technician, 1 researcher
2012-present Responsible and partner for several national and international projects, both research and technological innovation.
2012-present Invited speaker to different international conferences
2014- present Responsible of “Biotechnology” project activity for Department DIITET of CNR.
2016- present CNR Member of the Scientific board of Regione Liguria District SIIT – Sistemi Intelligenti Integrati Tecnologie.
2016-present Member of the CNR-IEIIT Institute scientific board
2018- present Coordinator of a FET-OPEN Research and Innovation Action Call (27 successful projects in EU); the project is titled B2B and aims to generate a first-of-a-kind 3D model of spontaneous breast cancer metastasis to the bone dissect the complexity of the metastatic process and empower high-throughput drug screening in physiological context.
Organization of scientific meetings:
2010: Organizer of Italian Conference on Biomaterials, Camogli, Genoa, Italy. 24-26 may (http://www.biomateriali.org/congres/congres.htm)
2015: Organizer of Workshop DIITET nanotechnologies, biotechnologies and ICT for health, Pisa
Collaboration to national and European projects:
- ON GOING PROJECT
- Modeling spontaneous Breast cancer metastasis TO the Bone with a first-of-its-kind 3D device that recapitulates physiological tissue-level complexity -B2B; European Commission call FET-OPEN(grant n. 801159) PILLAR EXCELLENT SCIENCE; Role: Coordinator of the project; Score 15/15; Total grant: 3.800.000 euro (2018-2022); personal budget: 711.000 euro. The project is titled B2B and aims to generate a first-of-a-kind 3D model of spontaneous breast cancer metastasis to the bone dissect the complexity of the metastatic process and empower high-throughput drug screening in physiological context.
- Cardio Ultraefficient nanoparticles for Inhalation of drug products-CUPIDO; European Commission call NMBP 11-2016(grant. N. 720834); Role: co-investigator in the CNR unit; Total grant: 6.094.000 euro (2017-2021); personal budget 215.000 euro.
- PAST PROJECTS
- Face up Cardiac Hypertrophy via micro RNA Carrier by Electrically Charged Nanoparticles- miRnano; MIUR call Progetto Bandiera; Role: co-investigator; Total grant: 824.000 euro (2013-2018); personal budget 122.000 euro.
- Innovative materials for the articular bio-prostheses development (MIUR Prot: RBIP068JL9): 364.800 euro.
- A bioengineering platform to tissue and organ regeneration (MIUR Prot: RBPR05RSM2): 297.840 euro
Commissions of trust:
2007-present Scientific evaluator of national and international basic and industrial research projects for national Agencies and European Agencies (e.g. ERC consolidator projects).
2010-present Reviewer of several international peer-reviewed Journals in the field of Materials Science, Tissue Engineering.
2011-present Editorial Board Member of TheScientificWorld Journal, Area Tissue Engineering, ISRN Computational Biology, Dataset Papers in Medicine
2012-present Lead Guest Editor of a Special Issue for The Scientific World Journal (Biomaterials)
2013-present Member of the Technical committee of the 2nd and 3rd International Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Biotechnology (ICBEB2013 and ICBEB2014)
2013 Lead Guest Editor of a Special Issue for BioMed Research International
2013 Chairman of a scientific session of the International Conference MiMe-Materials in Medicine, Faenza 2013.
2014 Lead Guest Editor of a Special Issue for Dentofacial Tissue Engineering and Cell Therapy from Lab to Clinical Trial
Memberships of scientific societies:
2010-present Member of the Italian Society of Biomaterials
2012-present Member of the Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society
2018-present Member of European Society for Alternative to Animal Testing (EUSAAT)
Invited Talk And Seminars
- 3th Annual Meeting of the European Tissue Engineering Society (TERMIS), October 10-13, Lausanne, Switzerland, 192, 2004.
- Engineering With Membranes: Medical and biological applications (EWM), 15-18 May 2005, Camogli Genova, Italy.
- The European Chapter of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society (TERMIS), 2006 October 8-11, Rotterdam.
- 24th European Society of Biomaterials (ESB) 2011, September 4-9, Dublin, Irland
- The world Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society (TERMIS), 5th - 8th September 2012 - Vienna Austria
- Nanophysics Retreat, Istituto Italiano delle Tecnologie (IIT), 18 Feb 2013 Invited Lecture
- 1st Materials In Medicine (MiMe) 2013 October 8-11, Faenza, Italy
- 26th European Conference on Biomaterials (ESB) 2014 August 31 - September 3, 2014, Liverpool, UK
- 24th European Orthopaedic Research Society (EORS) 2016 14-16 September, Bologna, Italy
- Dipartimento di Medicina Sperimentale, Università di Genova. Ciclo di Seminari di Ricerca Biomedica, 19 April 2017 Invited Lecture
- IFOM-Istituto Europeo Oncologico (IEO) Campus, Scientific Seminar. 24th May 2018 “3D tumor models as alternative to animal models” Invited Lecture
- Advances in Cell & Tissue Culture (ACTC) 2018 21st – 23rd of May Cardiff University invited talk
- Ospedale Giannina Gaslini, 11 June 2018“3D tumor models as alternative to animal models” Invited Lecture
- Global Breast Cancer Conference, London 18-20 July 2019 “A biology-driven technology for testing cancer drug efficacy and immunotherapies in vitr” Invited Lecture
- 3D-Culture, Organoids & Tox Screening Europe 13-14 June 2019
- EUSAAT 2019 “In vitro demonstration of different intestinal absorption mechanisms of lactulose and mannitol by using 3D tissue inserts within fluidic multi-chamber devices”Invited Lecture
- Scaglione S, Quarto R, Benatti U, Badano R. “Bioreactor, particularly for generating engineered tissues” (TO2008A000426. European extension n. 09161911.4)
- Cama G, Quarto R, Capurro M, Barberis F, Scaglione S. “Brushite based bone cement” (MI2008A1181)
- Quarto R, Scaglione S. “Formulation and method for the preparation of a porous polymer osteoconductive replacement” (MI2009A000274)
- Quarto R., Scaglione S., Lazzarini E. “Osteochondral bifunctional monolithic substitute” (MI2011A0002109)
- Scaglione S., Aiello M. “Bioreactor for articular tissue engineering” (RM2015A000043)
- Scaglione S., Aiello M. Cavo M. “Bioreactor and method of use of such bioreactor” (WO2018130998A1)
- Scaglione S., Aiello M., Marrella A. “Composizione Comprendente Un Idrogel” (102018000005459)
Main scientific achievements
96 papers published in International Journals in different fields [biomedical engineering, tissue engineering, material science].
H-index = 23 (google scholar)
Total number of citations = 2099.